Re: BN4 Door Trim and Cleaning Shut Faces

To: "57 Healey" <57healey@gmail.com>, <djjob@noos.fr>
Subject: Re: BN4 Door Trim and Cleaning Shut Faces
From: "Rich C" <richchrysler@quickclic.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 20:04:09 -0500
Patton,
The furflex including the new stuff on MacGregor's site is the later "push
on the metal flange" stuff used on the later cars. The "furflex" correctly
termed "draught excluder"stuff you want is the same as is used on the
Hundred (okay the "100/4" for all you Wankers out there)<grin>
The Hundred draught excluder is a fuzzy colour keyed material surrounding a
totally enclosed rubber bulb so you'll never see the rubber. This has the
ends trimmed a little longer than the enclosed bulb and the ends are turned
in and glued so the inside rubber can't be seen there either. There is a
wide sewn "tail" flange of material that will glue onto the inside rear edge
of the front quarter panel up to the place where the dash support metal is
welded to the vertical wall section. Then there is a snip done in the "tail"
material and it jumps outboard of the steel flange where it continues tucked
under the windscreen post base to the top of the threshold, ending under the
scuttle seal. Another piece of this furflex glues to the inside front edge
of the door panel running the height of the panel. This whole fitting
arrangement allows the draught excluder section to sit proud of the panel
edges and allows them to flex. When the door closes these two furflex pieces
push up parallel and against each other forming a seal.
This seal can be bought from any number of suppliers. I recently purchased
some for a customers car from Heritage Upholstery and Trim. They were precut
and already folded over and finished ends.
Rich Chrysler