Re: Engine and Manifold Colors

To: John Soderling <jsoderling@astound.net>,
Subject: Re: Engine and Manifold Colors
From: John Peak <redbn7@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2005 13:57:11 -0800 (PST)
John,

You are correct.  I'd forgotten that some six port head engines were installed
while cars were still being built at Longbridge.  What I should have said was
to my knowledge no BN4's had 2 port head engines painted Morris green.  And
from Derek's comments I gather that the use of Morris green engines ended some
time prior to the end of production of the 1st batch BN4's.

While this may seem like a trivial point to most Healey enthusiasts, as the
owner of two different transition cars (my previous BN4 and my current BN7 with
100/6 badges) I am keenly interested in seeing the details of these oddities
documented.  There is nothing quite so frustrating as to be told  by otherwise
knowledgeable Healey enthusiasts that features you know to be original on your
car are "wrong".  Thanks to Roger and Gary's excellent book and this
magnificent list, I know that I am not alone in owning a Healey that does not
quite fit with the conventional wisdom of what is "correct".

On a related topic, one lister mentioned having or seeing a BJ8 with a blue
engine.  This topic has come up before, and the sheer numbers of people
reporting the same made me wonder if some BJ8's did indeed come from the
factory with blue engines.  Any comments?

John Peak
'59 BN7

John Soderling <jsoderling@astound.net> wrote:
John,
I believe some of the last 100-Six cars built at Longbridge with the
six-port head also had the darker green engine paint. My Erika, Longbridge
BN4 #49069 with 6-port head (10 December 1957), originally had a darker
green color engine paint according to the fellow that did the restoration
(only restoration done on this car) in 1992.
Vrooom vrooom,
John