SU Carbs

To: "Healeys" <healeys@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: SU Carbs
From: "Ben Prince" <blprince2@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 14:32:29 -0800
I have a recently acquired BN1.  The shop manual states that it has twin SU
carbs, inclined at 20 degrees.  I find no other identification for the carbs.

An SU Hayes manual shows the carbs as H4 for the BN2.  No mention is made of
the BN1.  Are the BN1and BN2 carbs are the same  H4s?  (1-1/2" throat.)

I have owned an MG-TF 1500 for many years that has H4 carbs, spec. no. AUC 728
The Healey carbs and the MG carbs are not identical, even though both seem to
be H4s.   Perhaps the Healey carbs have a different spec. no.  I'd appreciate
clarification.

The MG-TF float chambers have vent tubes.  I don't see how the BN1 float
chambers are vented, if at all.  Can someone enlighten?  Also, the MG carbs
have a "float depressing plunger" (referred to as a diddler) whereas the BN1
carbs don't.

Also, how does one set the float level on the BN1?  On the MG, the fork is
bent until it just clears a 3/8" to 7/16" bar.  Is this the right clearance
for the BN1?

Many thanks,
Ben