Re: Slave cylinder bleeding and mounting

To: John Peak <redbn7@yahoo.com>, Healey List <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Slave cylinder bleeding and mounting
From: Earl Kagna <kags@shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 09:16:51 -0800
John:

You're welcome on the extended upper slave cyl. bolt trick - makes all the
difference, doesn't it!

Here's the procedure I use to bleed the slave cyl.  It's easy because you
can now undo it / re-install it very easily.  (I'd keep the hose and bleed
screw in their original holes.) This is done without loosening the bleed
screw.  It also assumes that there is some fluid in the system already,
enough to be sure that the bottom of the centre section stays covered.  (If
the system is dry, open the bleed screw and let gravity at least partially
fill the cyl. - keep adding fluid to the reservoir, close the screw when
fluid appears.)

Start with the centre section of the reservoir no more than half full.  Undo
the bolts and let the slave cyl. hang on the hose.  Use a screwdriver to
push the piston all the way back in the bore - this forces fluid (and air!)
up into the clutch section of the reservoir.  Slowly work the clutch pedal
by hand through it's full stroke - it will take about 4 strokes and the
piston will bottom hard against the snap ring in the cyl. - don't use too
much muscle here, you won't mistake the feel when it bottoms.

Now keep the cyl. oriented so that the hose is uppermost, giving any trapped
air a chance to collect right at the hose opening in the cyl, and push the
piston all the way in again.  Do this procedure 3 - 4 times, preferably with
an assistant watching for bubbles in the reservoir centre section.  When
there are no more bubbles, bolt the cyl. back to the bellhouse (which is now
really easy!), work the clutch pedal a couple of times to take up the slack
in the linkage, top up the reservoir if needed, and go driving.

Or, we could all get smart and follow Norm Nock's advice and use the tool
that gets onto the bleed screw easily, and bleed the clutch in the normal
fashion.

Try my system first, it's worked well for me for many, many years.

Too bad about your weather!

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.
BT7 tri-carb