overdrive solenoid

To: "healey list" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: overdrive solenoid
From: "John Adamik" <j.adamik@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 22:35:47 -0500
I installed a new overdrive solenoid and went through the setup per the
manual.  I had read from an old overdrive article (club magazine, Norman Nock)
that upon initial power up, the solenoid should draw about 20 amps, then drop
to 1.5 to 2 amps.  With a direct connection to the battery, I see an initial
1.5 amps, dropping to about 0.9 amps.  My battery has been on the charger and
with a tester it indicates that it is fully charged.  It looks like the
solenoid is correctly pulling in with high current and holding at a lower
current, but I just haven't seen anything close to 20 amps.  Does this sound
right?

John '62 BT7