Overdrive not working correctly

To: "Austin Healey" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Overdrive not working correctly
From: "mnhealey" <mnhealey@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 20:28:07 -0500
Dear All:

I've been working on getting a '60 BT7 back on the road after a full
restoration.  I'm so close I can taste it.  I have done some test drives and
the overdrive is not working correctly.

The solenoid actuates on the o/d unit in direct correlation to the switch on
the dashboard.  When the switch is in "overdrive" the solenoid is on.  When
the switch is turned to "normal" the solenoid turns off.   There is no
correlation to the throttle switch.

I have checked the throttle switch and it seems to be shutting off
(continuity check) at about 1/3 throttle (1/5 is recommended but 1/3 is okay
with me).

I haven't checked the overdrive relay yet.  Can anyone suggest some tests
for the o/d relay?  How is this supposed to work?  Is it possible that it's
not functioning correctly?

I also noticed that the 100-6 and the 3000's overdrive relay is wired almost
backwards to each other.  I'm wondering if maybe this BT7 is not wired
correctly?  I have checked and double-checked the wiring against the "Early
Cars" wiring diagram in the manual.  I believe that this is the correct
wiring diagram to use.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Curt

Curtis L. Carlson
MAHC Membership Director/Newsletter Publisher
PO Box 6844
Minneapolis, MN  55406-0844
spritemann@hotmail.com www.mnhealey.com