Re: Overdrive not working correctly

To: <SJNNOCK@aol.com>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Overdrive not working correctly
From: "mnhealey" <mnhealey@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 23:44:58 -0500
Thanks Norman.  I read your article.

However, the problem is in the wiring, not in the hydraulics of the O/D unit.
The O/D engages correctly when the switch on the dash is in the up position
(Overdrive).  However, when setting the switch on the dash back to the down
position (Normal), this causes the solenoid to disengage immediately
regardless of the position of the throttle switch.  (As I stated before, I
have checked the throttle switch for proper function (continuity at idle,
switches off at about 1/3 throttle and stays off to full throttle.)

As I understand it, once the o/d is engaged using the switch on the dashboard,
when the switch is set back to "normal" the overdrive should stay engaged
until the throttle switch disengages it (by shutting off continuity at about
1/5 throttle).  Correct?

The wiring diagrams for the 100-6 and the 3000 differ in the overdrive circuit
in that the wiring is almost completely reversed between the two models.  I'm
looking at the wiring diagrams from the Bentley manual.

Any suggestions?

How does the overdrive solenoid (relay) work?

Thanks again in advance.

Curt

Curtis L. Carlson
MAHC Membership Director/Newsletter Publisher
PO Box 6844
Minneapolis, MN  55406-0844
spritemann@hotmail.com www.mnhealey.com