LHT nut for door check strap

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: LHT nut for door check strap
From: "Simon Lachlan" <simon.lachlan@homecall.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 05:02:01 +0100
Some of you may remember the thread I started about 2 weeks ago re the door
check straps in the 3000s.

I found that mine were in the wrong doors and upside down!

I discovered that the left hand unit was easy to fix..weld in the right
bolt, adjust and you're done.

The right hand side (driver's in UK, Australia etc) is not so easy. The nut
& bolt are left hand thread.

I was able to confirm - by asking around - that it is usually the nuts whose
thread strips, not the bolts. Certainly that was the case with mine.

By finding out that one could buy the whole unit for +/- GBP35.00, I was
able to determine that that is a hell of a lot of money to stump up for one
nut and that the nuts must be "out there somewhere" as the manufacturers
were using them.

None of the usual suspects (UK suppliers) could supply the nuts and said
that they hadn't been able to find them. I believed that they had looked,
but not very hard).

I looked for quite a while and did find one company in the UK that has about
200. (Nuts only. No bolts/studs.) They did not really want to know..selling
one nut at a time is not really there bag. (Even though I doubt if they've
sold one of these in 20 years). However I did get one at an inflated price.

I am contemplating buying all their stock if they want to get rid of it,
which they may. But, I'll only do so if there is a worthwhile demand. I
can't give out their details as a deluge of enquiries for one nut each would
lead nowhere.

So, is there any interest? Are your doors flapping around? Can you get
together on this? I'm not wrapping up x little packets and mailing them one
at a time.

One caveat.I had to file my nut down to fit. It took about 10 minutes. I
don't know whether the "spanner" on my unit was slightly squashed or whether
the nut was fractionall on the large size.

Simon.