Re: LHT nut for door check strap

To: Simon Lachlan <simon.lachlan@homecall.co.uk>, healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: LHT nut for door check strap
From: David Schweninger <quenty@ntelos.net>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 10:12:56 -0400
  Hello Simon,
Left Hand nuts, and two legged ones are easy to come by here in the
"states". However, there's a little more to the story.
The nuts are have machine 'relief" on the bottom side that fits into
the spring washer keeping it centered. The reason for having left and
right hand is that when the door is opened the nut is rotated,
tightening down on the spring washer, which clamps the friction washer,
holding the door open. I can't say all of this works as one of mine is
broken off and the other is stripped.
I will be machining up some nuts and studs (LH & RT). I'll send you
some. Give me your address.
Incidentally the studs are furnace brazed to the bracket. I removed
mine by putting a 1/2" socket over the head and squeezing in a BIG
Vise. I think a big hammer would do the trick. I will silver solder the
new ones in.
Also, I'm looking for a spring washer.
Good luck.
Dave
This posting is just in time for the friday funnies.