Re: Compare a Healey it's contemporary

To: tom felts <tomfelts@earthlink.net>, Bob Spidell
Subject: Re: Compare a Healey it's contemporary
From: Dean Caccavo <healeybn7@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 10:09:01 -0700 (PDT)
Having both a BN7 and an 88' M5 I offer the following
observations:

Production:
Healey BN7 (2,825)
BMW M5 (1,200)

Cool Factor:
Healey 10+ (general population)
BMW (6- in general) (8 to a hard core enthusiest)

Color Choices:
Healey (Heritage Certificate or repaintable to period
correct)
BMW (only available in Schwartz i.e. black)

Worry Factor: On the Road
Healey (no worries)
BMW (timing chain or crank hub failures require a $10K
fix)

Worry Factor: Parked out of Sight
Healey (never)
BMW (no worries, looks like all the other older german
boxes, expecially under a cover)

Parts: Maintenance
Healey (available from a variety of friendly sources)
BMW (non-"M" specific parts available over the
counter.  "M" parts BMW only with delay)

Parts: Performance
Healey (readily available with expert advise)
BMW (becoming hard to find, and mostly with attitiude
"...we don't stock parts for those older models")

Performance:
Healey (consistently delightful, sounds teriffic,
brakes just ok)
BMW (great when AFM and all sensors are perfect, no
real exhaust sound, 24V DOHC makes all the right
intake and valve noise, brakes unbelievable)

DIY Maintenance:
Healey (everything)
BMW (Limited to R&R. OHM meter diagnostics. $200+ to
adjust valves every 15K, $6/quart Royal Purple oil,
etc)

Usability:
Healey (Weather dependent and occasional drive to the
office)
BMW (Stiff clutch makes it a tough daily commuter, but
responsive)

Kid factor:
Healey (Always requested as the "Can you pick me up
from school car")
BMW (Son appreciates the M5, but his friends don't see
it when the Healey is in the garage, unless dad has a
Porsche)

Wife Factor:
Healey (Likes to drives it and "...well it is less
maintenance than a horse")
BMW (Hates to drive it and "...are you going to get
the clutch fixed?")

Monterey Historics Parking:
Healey (out in the dirt field with the gophers and
SUVs)
BMW (in the corral 10ft from the track - go figure)

Dean