Re: Engine Painting

To: "Scott Dickson" <sdickson@ksu.edu>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Engine Painting
From: "Keith Pennell" <pennell@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 00:28:00 -0400
Scott,

Don' t necessarily know the best way but here is what I did.  Cleaned the
engine thoroughly with Simple Green, scrub brush, wire brush and a variety
of scraping tools.  Rinsed well.  Badly rusted areas though I had none
should be treated with Osphos.  Primed the engine with self etching primer.
I am a strong believer in that stuff!  Sprayed Bill Hirsch Healey green
final coat.  Actually my neighbor did the final spraying.  He came over just
as I started and saw that my results were fair at best.  He continued and
finished the spray.  He used to do respray of Mer Benz damaged in shipment
to the US.

Result still looks great after 3-4 years!  See attach.

Keith Pennell

> I plan on painting my engine after the rebuild and would like to know the
> best way to prep it so that the paint stays on.  Thanks in advance.
>
> Scott Dickson
> 64 BJ7
> 65 E-Type OTS

Patches engine 3-05.jpg]