Re: Engine Painting

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Engine Painting
From: "BJ8Healeys" <sbyers@ec.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 08:52:21 -0400
Hi, Scott -

The best way to prep it is to get it absolutely clean and free of oil/grease
and dirt.  I first cleaned mine with a degreaser and toothbrush to get in all
the nooks and crannies (small areas at a time), then thoroughly (but
carefully!) rinsed it with water from a garden hose.  After doing the entire
engine, I went back and wiped it down with Windex, followed by blowing off any
lint with a compressor.  Be careful not to touch the surfaces with bare
fingers before you paint it.  I painted the valve cover separately after
painting the rest of the engine.

I used the Healey green engine paint from Moss in a spray can without a primer
and it has worked just fine for 6 years and 40,000 miles now with no peeling
or cracking of the paint.

There are all kinds of ways to paint an engine so that the paints stays on,
but the bottom line of all of them is:  you can't get it too clean before
painting.

Good luck!
Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666