Re: Adjustment Sequence

To: davidwjones <davidwjones@cox.net>
Subject: Re: Adjustment Sequence
From: jerry adams <cjerryadams@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 09:59:49 -0700 (PDT)
David,

Have been gone from computer for a rew days and wanted to add $0.02 worth.
Years ago I would go through a Saturday morning tuning once a month or more for
gymkana or autocrose events and would suggest the following since you are
starting from scratch so to speak.
1)  Remove all plugs and inspect for color and deposits, and gap.
2)  Since its been a while I would do a compression check, just to be sure
there is no broken rings, blown head gasket or burnt valves.
3)  Set valve clearance.
4)  Set point gap/dwell.
5)  Check/set timing.
6)  Set carbs.
     A)  Loosen shaft linkage and seperate the carbs from one another.
     B)  Set idle speed.
     C)  Adjust mixture.
     D)  Set idle speed.
     F)   Adjust mixture.
     G)  Set idle speed.
In other words set idle speed every time you adjust mixture on all the carbs.
I didn't have the best of luck or confidence with the unisync and found it
easier to use a length of garden hose,
18" to 24" long to listen to the vacuum hiss.  You can go back and forth
between the carbs quickly and adjustments made quick and accurate.  You will be
right on when finished.
When you lift the carb piston you shoul get the same increase in speed if all
is right.
Tighten the shafts down and set adle speed one last time.  Air cleaners should
not make any difference.
The first time I tuned carbs it took hours latter much less.

Jerry
BN@
davidwjones <davidwjones@cox.net> wrote:
Hello all,

I had so much trouble last fall with adjustments of all sorts on my tricarb,
that as I start out this season, I want to go back to square one and set
everything on the engine control....
Can someone please give me the best sequence for checking / adjusting

Timing
Gap
Dwell
Mixture
Idle
Anything else? (HS4 carbs)
Also, can you indicate after mix is set, do you recommend further adjustment
after the (stock) air cleaners are back on?

Tools available: gap tools, timing light.UniSyn, Color-Tune. (Can borrow
anything else recommended)

Also, once done, which would you "go back" to check?
Seems pretty basic, but I have seemed to be going around and around with this
entirely new / rebuilt setup.

Yahoo! Mail Mobile