Re: Adjustment Sequence

To: davidwjones <davidwjones@cox.net>
Subject: Re: Adjustment Sequence
From: Blue One Hundred <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 14:31:30 +0800
David -

Your sequence is partially wrong.

You want to set your gap/dwell as the very first thing.  When you
adjust this you change your timing, so if you adjust timing first,
then gap/dwell, then your timing will be off from when you first
measured it (this is why I switched to pertronix... points are very
sloppy with timing).  Also you need to set plug gaps.

Also the last two are iterative by nature, I would acutally set idle a
hair fast first (at about 800), then tinker with mixture, then set
idle one last time.

So I would do it this way (esp on a new engine):

Rocker gaps
spark plug gaps
point gap / dwell (its the same thing)
timing
slightly fast idle
idle mixture
final idle adjustment
double check timing again

After I've done this I can get the BJ8 to idle comfortably at about
550 to 600 rpms.  Same with the BN1 if you can believe it.

Good Luck!

Alan

'53 BN1 '64 BJ8