RE: Solenoid button, parts, wheels

To: Edward Anderson <eandy01@tcnmail.com>, healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Solenoid button, parts, wheels
From: William Moyer <William.Moyer@millersville.edu>
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 21:04:30 -0400
, after 4
Healeys I just now find there is a button on the solenoid. Why?

Because it was the one that was on the shelf.  Ooops, sorry guys!

I don't know what the orginal reason was, but it makes for easy starting or
just turning over the engine while you're working on it "move that rotor
another blip".  (Keep that tie away from the fan and belt or you'll get a
serious headache!!!) In earlier posts I pointed out that a starting problem
was probably corroded contacts at the starter button but I didn't get
stranded anywhere because I knew the solenoid starter button secret. I think
it's a good thing and mine is still working 43 years later (Now, of course,
I do carry a spare.).

On another issue, over 30 years of ownership I've been miffed at most every
shop and parts supplier I've dealt with on at least one occassion but
absolutely none of them, including and especially Healey Surgeons, were
stupid or clumsy or unknowledgeable about our cars and not one of them would
have let you drive out of the shop in the condition that car was in without
a serious warning.  I always ask for them to look it over for normal
dangerous things like shock mounts and so forth anyway.  And they wouldn't
be warning you just because they were worried about a freakin' lawsuit.
Because they'd be worried about your butt.  Justifiably.  There are degrees
of problems and those described would have raised red flags with even me and
I don't know squat.  We're not talking about the "wrong" part or $10 in
shipping here.  That's pretty chicken guano compared to burning to death.
If you own these cars you're going to have to get used to occassional
difficulties.  They weren't much more production manufactured than Model T's
by today's standards.  P.S. You can buy at least 3 restored Model T's for
the same price as a Healey, but those curves just won't be the same.

Bill Moyer, BJ7 still with that noisy rear end.  Could be the Guinness.