RE: Knock off should be Pound On

To: "William Moyer" <William.Moyer@millersville.edu>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Knock off should be Pound On
From: "Malaney, David W" <DavidWMalaney@eaton.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 10:10:40 -0400
Bill and all,

You didn't mention if the knock off 'spun off' - allowing the wheel to come
off, or if the knock off 'broke off' which allowed the wheel to come off.  I
seem to recall reading somewhere that knock offs are subject to fatigue - from
stress due to driving loads (mostly axial and radial rather than torsional) and
from people pounding them on - which over the course of years can add up to
fatigue failure of the part.  They can actually crack through such that the
knock off loses clamping force - the wheel is then allowed to move more which
generates more stress on the knock off which eventually breaks and falls off -
followed perhaps by the wheel falling off, unless the problem is noticed before
that happens.  Better get those knock off's magna fluxed :)

Dave M.