BN4 Water Pump

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: BN4 Water Pump
From: ggilliam@usol.com
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2005 14:48:38 EST
  A few days ago there was a post about an instruction sheet
included with a new water pump specifying having to run the pump
dry for some time period to seat the seal properly.
  Well, I am now faced with having to install a new pump myself,
due to excessive leakage from the weep hole that didn't stop after
some use as I had hoped,  but there was no instruction sheet
included with my new pump from Moss.
  Is this a "blanket" procedure generally performed on all new
water pumps, or only specific manufactures, etc?
  How long is this run dry period....would just starting the engine
without coolant for a few minutes suffice?

  Is there a source of the seals and bearings for the old pump, I
believe original to my '57 BN4 gallery head Longbridge?

 Regards,
 Gordy