Re: Cruising just fine

To: M Lempert <mlempert@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: Cruising just fine
From: bn1@pacbell.net
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 19:25:53 -0700
Hi Mike,

While I have a 3-speed, Top is still 1:1.  With the 28% OD and your
gears, 80 MPH is 3,200 revs and it'll go right by 100.  My speedo has
been recalibrated to both the diff. and my tires and is dead on.  I've
done about 4K miles with that set up and absolutely love it.  I do have
pull in 3rd over but I also have several engine mods.

The last time I came home from the Oregon border, we had a ball.  Once
you get into the middle of nowhere on I-5, everybody does 90.  So here's
my little red BN1, top down, running right along with all the big buck
crap.  Then we hit the Grapevine climb and I put my foot in it.  I
slowed to 85 but was delighted to watch the big bucks disappear in the
mirrors; ya just gotta love that ol' British torque!  When we hit the
top I told the GF:  "Watch, they'll all come roaring by me on the
downhill, just to prove they can."  And here they came, some well over
100 just to make up for the lost ground.  We grinned the rest of the way
home! :-)

Bill Barnett
Santa Ana, CA
'53 BN1 #663