Re: Steering Lever

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Steering Lever
From: healeyguy@aol.com
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 19:47:35 -0400
Listers
Another piece of seemingly useless (until your in Jack's situation) Austin
Healey information but in case you are interested in the outcome of the
mysterious steering lever problem that Jack brought up yesterday, the email
trail is below.
Aloha
Perry

Friends,
It turns out the P.O. sold me a car with two left handed Steering Box
steering levers. I'm therefore looking for an idler steering lever with
the number 6278 on it. Don't look in the Service Manual - as far as I
can see at this moment BMC mixed up the numbers of the left and the
right side. I do have a correct looking steering box lever with '6277'
on it.
I can get one in Europe, but at a very high price for such a small piece
of forged steel. Any Healey owners, part suppliers or wreckers in the
USA or Australia willing to help me out?
TIA
Jack Aeckerlin, The Netherlands
1964 BJ8 29432

Jack
Had a fun time in the garage loft checking parts and part numbers. Attached is
a photo of two steering levers, one from a left hand drive steering box and one
from a left hand drive idler. Interesting that they both have the same number
on them, 1B 6277 / 8. I verified that the taper for the shaft and the tapers in
the center and side rods are facing the correct direction. In the photo you
will see that the arms are marked TOP (self explanatory) and the large and
small diameter if the tapered holes are marked as such. These should work for
either a left or right hand drive car, even though the forging part number is
the same. By the way I checked about 30 levers and did not find one (except the
early 100 idler with small shaft) that had a different number. Suspect that
Austin had a bunch of forgings made then machined to fit both sides. Might be
why the part numbers in the book don't work.  Let me know if this is what you
need.
Aloha
Perry

Perry,
Thanks for your message which held the solution to my problem: BMC had one
component forged, gave it a double number and machined it as needed. Now
suddenly all puzzle pieces fall into the right place!
Thanks again, at last I can sleep again!
Regards
Jack

steering levers.jpg"; name="steering_levers.jpg]