Re: Why, oh Why?

To: Chris Masucci <sooch@houston.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Why, oh Why?
From: Dave & M <rusd@velocitus.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 20:27:16 -0600
Hi Chris,

After the car has been sitting for a while, try disconnecting the gage
line at the block. On my engine, the oil has drained out of the oil
gallery & also some out of the copper line & out of the flex line.  When
the engine is started, some of the air is trapped in the line. If you
ever have a "buzzy" oil pressure gage, loosen both ends of the line &
let some air into it. Engine shut off of course.

I can't imagine why bleeding the line would give more accurate gage
readings. Whether you bleed the line or not has no effect on actual oil
pressure. Pressure is pressure, be it air or oil. The fast oil pressure
pulses are damped because air is compressible. Think accumulator.

Can't say if the loop traps more air or oil. It certainly could help
prevent vibration, but that's what the engine to oil pipe flex line is for.

Regards,
Dave Russell
BN2