Re: Windshield Screws

To: "Ronald A. Fine" <ronfineesq@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Windshield Screws
From: Fred Crowley <fredcrowley@teamhealeytexas.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 16:19:38 -0500
Just finished doing a windscreen for a North Texas member. The corner
brackets from Moss are close but need some work to make the trim pieces
fit properly. I found that I had to grind them down about 25 thou to get
a nice tight fit for the 4 windscreen trim pieces. Of course when you do
this you have to re-tap the thread in the brackets - great opportunity
to practice your 4-letter vocabulary. The rubber that the major Healey
parts folks have is just generic windshield rubber that generally is too
thick to use. There is a product specifically for our Healey situation.
It is a rubber adhesive windshield "caulk". It is the size and shape
that fits a caulking gun. The trade name is SikaTack-Ultrafast II. It is
made specifically for installing windshields. There are specific
instructions - it has to be heated to about 120/130 degrees (use the
house oven - it doesn't stink or anything but your spouse may get a bit
antsy). The working time is about 5-8 minutes so you have to move
quickly. It takes about 2 tubes for a big Healey windscreen at a cost of
about $15 per tube. It's messy to work with but provides a custom rubber
seal/gasket for the glass. I got this stuff from our local Binswanger Glass.

For inserting the rubber moulding along the bottom of the windshield
frame I used Windex as a lubricant, had someone help me (Jeanice) to
feed it in. The most important tip is to make sure you don't have your
tongue sticking out, such that when you loose your grip part way through
the task, and your hands slip hitting you in the mouth, you won't bite
your tongue (no first hand experience of course ;-) ).

Regards  Fred