Re: Cape Adjustable Trunnion Kit

To: "Magnus Karlsson" <magnuskarlsson@bornet.net>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Cape Adjustable Trunnion Kit
From: "Chris Dimmock" <cd3000@bigpond.net.au>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 21:10:05 +1100
Another method is to use the shocks off a Wolseley sedan.

Many "BMC special tuning parts" and 'Works components' - as we all know -
were just standard, off the shelf components from other cars in the BMC
stable.

e.g. the Healey works hardtop roof vent - was a standard roof vent on a Mini
Panel van; - the Healey Overdrive competition overdrive accumulator
upgrade - was the standard one on a Triumph overdrive; the heavy duty
generator - was the standard one on a jaguar; the Works Healey alloy 6 cyl
rocker cover - was a standard rocker cover on upmarket Austin Sedans; the
Healey works rear rally overriders (no bumper) and additional rally
headlight pods - were bugeye Sprite etc etc etc

The thing about making suspension points adjustable is that you really don't
need to 'adjust' them. You really just need to 'set them up'. Once they are
set up - when do you need to change them?

Using Wolseley front shocks gives you five benefits.

Firstly - you don't need to cut/ weld anything - your front shock towers
remain standard (using adjustable tower plates is also speciically
prohibited in many Historic race/ rally classes).

Secondly - everyting looks original in the engine bay - but you can change
your camber by up to 3 degrees (i.e. get 2 degrees negative)

Thirdly - Wolseley sedans are heavier than healeys - and guess what? They
have a heavier valve in them. Probably the same valve as was sold as a
'competion front shock absorber valve'....

Fourth - you can change back to standard positive camber if you want to...
by putting your old healey shocks back on

Fifth - there are different Wolseley shocks - with different arm lengths -
so you can decide how much camber you want....

There's more detail here:
http://www.myaustinhealey.com/austin_healey_technical_articles.html

Just be aware - if you change camber by more than a degree - using Wolseley
shocks or an adjustable plate - you'll also need to make the outer steering
arms adjustable - you won't have enough adjustment on the centre steering
rod to stop it toeing out.

Best

Chris
www.myaustinhealey.com