Re: Tire Age & Related Problems

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tire Age & Related Problems
From: "Beth Lunney" <Beth@lunney.us>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 13:06:01 -0500
The Carolinas AHC has specific "anecdotal evidence" of older tire problems.

The club was on a mountain trip with a new member who was an original owner of
a low mileage 1967 BJ8.  On the way, his rear tire went, and the group stopped
to help (as our Carolinas president always says, "Healey enthusiasts never
leave our dead or wounded.").  We found that not only was this car original --
so were the tires!  The tire had just disintegrated.

After a trip to a tire store, he returned to the group with ONE new tire and
THREE 30+-year-old tires!  Needless to say, there was another roadside stop
for the same reason.  This was dangerous for him as well as the rest of the
group as we sped around the mountain roads.

Later conversations with Allen Hendrix (Hendrix Wire Wheels) confirmed that
older tires are a problem -- time as well as mileage use are both determining
factors, and we should all check the date (coded) on our tires.  I believe he
said 10 years was an appropriate age to purchase replacements.

Beth Lunney (704) 948-1745
Grand Prix Graphics
8702 Taybrook Dr., Huntersville, NC 28078
(704) 948-1746 fax

Publishers of HEALEY MARQUE, CLASSIC MG,
THE VINTAGE TRIUMPH and JAGUAR JOURNAL magazines