Re: Grease nipples

To: Simon Lachlan <simon.lachlan@homecall.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Grease nipples
From: John Harper <AH@jharper.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 08:17:30 +0000
Simon

Somewhere around the mid 1970s the trend in UJs in the UK was towards
sealed for life and no greasing was considered necessary. This caused no
real problems except for UJs that did not 'bend'. The example I was
aware of was the Morris Marina where here was a central support bearing
with three UJs. The one that failed was the front one. This could almost
have been a solid joint because it was only the slight gearbox movement
on it mountings that it had to allow for. The solution was to fit a
grease nipple type to this front position.

On face value this all sounds strange but it seems that if the needle
rollers were allowed to 'work', sealed for life was OK. However if they
were not worked they siezed up and then failed.

I would have thought with all the movement that an Austin-Healey prop
shaft gets that UJs without grease nipples would not cause a problem. In
fact I have seen cars that appear to have done high mileage without a
failure.

All the best

--
John Harper