Welding

To: "Austin-Healey List" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Welding
From: "Ned Smith" <smithn00@kitepilot.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 13:22:41 -0500
My attempts to weld patches in the floor pan are not going too well.

My new Harbor Freight welder has a high and a low amp setting. I am using
the low 62-68 amp setting.

As someone on the list pointed out, the welding wire is always is always hot
when the machine is turned on.

The only other variable is wire feed rate.

I am using 22 gage sheet metal for the patches (this may be the real
problem, using too thin patch material).

I haven't touches the car yet but in practice runs I am always blowing holes
in the metal when I try to join two pieces.

My first thought was that the amps are too high. But I am as low as I can
go. Did I buy the wrong welder?

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Ned Smith

BJ8

near Chattanooga, TN

N34.98 W85.5