Re: generator - alternator

To: "Reinhart Rosner (aon)" <aon.912808691@aon.at>
Subject: Re: generator - alternator
From: John Harper <AH@jharper.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2006 07:47:44 +0000
Reinhart

Assuming that you have standard wattage headlamps and do not spend too
much time with your engine idling, a standard 22 Amp or thereabouts
dynamo should not let your batteries discharge. I would look for a
faulty Control Box setting or faulty dynamo first.

Substituting a three coil control box and using a C45- PV6 dynamo will
give a little more current and not involve much in the way of changes to
the car. In fact it is possible to hide the change by gutting an
existing control box, drilling a hole in the bulkhead that is hidden
when the existing control box is replaced and running wires back through
to a 3 coil control box inside the car.

If you do decide to move to an alternator then a standard 100 has more
fitting problems than the 6 cylinder engine cars. The fat dynamo belt
will not bend enough to go around a small pulley that should ideally be
fitted to run the alternator at its best design speed. Either one looses
some of the advantage that an alternator might give or you have to fit
narrower pulleys to the crank and water pump. This can be done, but it
involves more than just an alternator and suitable mounting brackets.
The ideal is to get a full set of pulleys and brackets from a later 2.2
or 2.5 litre BMC diesel engine but these are not easy to find. These had
alternators as standard and were fitted to late 60s or early 70s
commercial vehicles.

All the best

--
John Harper