Re: generator - alternator

To: "Reinhart Rosner (aon)" <aon.912808691@aon.at>
Subject: Re: generator - alternator
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2006 07:47:38 -0800
Hi Reinhart,

I'll take a stab at this, but by no means are these definitive answers.

Is there any chance to get out more power from the original generator?

>>> The voltage regulator controls the voltage of the generator (duh ;).
>>> Theoretically, you could tweak it to produce more voltage, but what
>>> you want is more amperage.  This is pretty much limited by the size
>>> of the generator.  Best you can do is get a good rebuild of your
>>> generator.

Is changing to an alternator the better way?

>>> If rebuilding the generator still doesn't produce enough current, this
>>> is probably your only recourse (short of going to a larger capacity
>>> generator).

Are there any spezial hints fort he European market regarding model and
mounting?

>>> I think Delco makes an alternator that is a good all-around unit (it's
>>> used in aviation conversions as well).  Some alternators have a built-in
>>> regulator.  The tough part will be getting the proper mounting hardware.
>>> I think a few people in the US have converted to alternators, you can
>>> probably find some help on the SOL website: http://www.team.net/sol/

Will I have to change to negative ground or is it possible to keep it
positive?

>>> Theoretically, you might be able to convert
>>> one by reversing the diodes and changing some wiring, but I've never
>>> heard of it being done.  There is a company that makes an alternator
>>> that looks just like a generator, and I THINK they have positive-ground
>>> as well, but they are very expensive.  Sorry, my usual computer is in
>>> the shop and I don't have a link for you, maybe another Lister can help.

Try a good rebuild of your generator first, and get your voltage regulator
checked-out.  Worn brushes and commutator can limit current.  Your generator
should put out 14V, give or take, at a couple thousand RPM with no load
(lights, megawatt stereo, etc.)

bs