Re: How did we pick our Marque

To: "healeys" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: How did we pick our Marque
From: "James Shope" <healeymanjim@JoiMail.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 19:52:08 -0800
while i was teaching basic flying school in selma, alabama i discovered that
lots of the student pilots loved the british sport cars.  i was pretty handy
mechanically and so i bought a few mgb's, mga's and even a fiat and fixed them
up to sell.  looking in the birmingham paper for sport cars i saw an
austin-healey for sale.  i had never seen one and was not even sure it was a
british sport car, but my buddy said to get it if the price was right.  had a
blown engine, but i went up to bham and liked what i saw and towed it home.
rebuilt the engine for a fe hundreds bucks and drove it for a year and got
offered about 3 times what i had in it.  sold it to a friend who still has it.
bought another healey in sad shape in montgomery and fixed it up and drove it
till they closed the base.  took it to florida for f-4 school and then drove
it to las vegas where i used it as a daily driver.  they were both bj8's, so
when i saw a bj8 in the paper for sale, i went over to look at it.  it had
just been repainted and the neighbor kid had used it for a rock throwing
target.  had dents all over the side and back.  bought it and spent a winter
taking out dents and repainting and minor mechanical stuff.  got sent back to
alabama for school and used it for my daily driver, since it was the only car
i had there.  left my 65 with my brother and my 66 with a friend when i got
assigned to spain.  my brother decided he had to have a healey and claimed
squatter's rights to the 65.  when i got assigned to germany, i brought my
66bj8 over there and joined the german austin-healey club, where i had a great
time and drank a lot of beer.   had the car shipped back to states after i
retired from usaf and took it to vancouver, wa where i did a major restoration
on it about 7 years ago.  i now have it and a bn6 that i am in the process of
restoring.  my next goal is to get a 100.   healeymanjim