Re: Positive to Negative Ground Conversion

To: <GSFuqua1@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Positive to Negative Ground Conversion
From: "Greg Lemon" <glemon@neb.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 00:10:13 -0600
Gary, I didn't see a response to this one on list, I have done it a few
times.

1.  Disconnect the Battery Terminals and Switch Polarity (make sure ignition
is off first) This is easier if you have gone to one battery.

2.    Polarize the generator by touching a live wire (now positive) to the
field coil spade on the generator, some have some method of spinning the
generator, but I have never found it necessary (and I don't remember how to
do it).

3.  Reverse the two small wires on the coil (marked cb and sw or + -)(not
sure if this is the same with your Mallory), my understanding is it will
still work if this is not done, but will work better if the polarity on the
coil wires is correct.

4.  Amp guage will work but backwards switch the two wires that go to the
guage.

5.  Gas Guage, nothing needs to be done

6.  Fuel pump, some are polarity sensitive, some aren't I beleive the older
pumps are not, and ones with newer electronics, diodes etc, are.

7.  Start car with fire extinguisher handy, just kidding, ignition light
should work as before going on when you turn ignition on, and off when idle
picks up to a certain point.  If the ignition light isnt working right try
polarizing the generator again.

I assume you have a mechanical tach and nothing needs to be done there.

Everything should work fine, I have done it about 4-5 times and never had a
single problem, esxcept with a Midget that had one of those modern fuel
pumps which still worked when I switched the two wires that go to it.

Greg Lemon
54 BN1

Good Luck!