Amateur vs. Professional Restoration

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Amateur vs. Professional Restoration
From: "Reid Trummel" <editor_reid@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 06:49:17 +0000
My recent visit to the auctions in Arizona got me to thinking about the
differences between an "amateur" and a "professional" restoration. I'm
really not sure that those are meaningful distinctions.

Why couldn't an amateur do every bit as good of a job as a professional? The
"fully restored to concours gold standards" (a truly overused phrase at the
auctions) Healeys in these auctions looked pretty good, but had a few little
things to criticize. Polished dash pots for one.

Anyway, it got me to thinking, what do people think of as the difference
between a professional and an amateur restoration? No one certifies
"professional" Healey restorers, so I lean towards saying that it is a
distinction without a difference. Restored is restored. Whether you've done
it once or a hundred times, what you have at the end is a collection of Moss
Motors parts, new paint and new chrome, and almost nothing remaining of that
which left the factory.

If I screw on a bunch of Moss Motors parts, it's an amateur restoration. If
someone who has done it a hundred times screws them on, it's a professional
restoration. No diff in my book.

What say you?

Reid Trummel
Portland, Oregon
100, 100M, Ski-Master

Dont just search. Find. Check out the new MSN Search!