Re: Amateur vs. Professional Restoration

To: "Reid Trummel" <editor_reid@hotmail.com>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Amateur vs. Professional Restoration
From: "Bluechipracing" <bluechipracing@snet.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 10:00:54 -0500
  Perhaps the best results are obtained by an hardcase enthusiast who does
most of the work himself, having a proper workshop, tools, time, skill and
money; concours guidelines in hand, and farms out to the pros such items as
structural welding, paint and perhaps body prep and upholstery.  I hope I'm
right on this, 'cause thats how I'm doing my BN2 which will be on the road
this spring.  It's not for concours purposes, but on a ground-up its just as
easy to do it right, so why not.  I sent the seats to Heritage for
upholstery, and I'll install their panels etc and do the rest of the trim.
I did all the body prep, then took it to a pro for paint.  My prep wasn't up
to his standards, so he's spending a few hours (days) making it right,
before shooting the paint.
  While on the subject of upgrades, I'm adding all the LeMans stuff....M
distributor, H6 Carbs, etc, also original period finned alloy valve cover
and Alfin brake drums.  These are all original parts I have collected over
the years, but of course I'll keep the original parts so the car can easily
be put back to the as built spec.

  Jim in CT