Re: Amateur vs. Professional Restoration

To: "Reid Trummel" <editor_reid@hotmail.com>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Amateur vs. Professional Restoration
From: "Richard Bittmann" <edmyed@harbornet.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 23:52:30 -0800
Reid

The cars you saw sold last week all lacked the "concours gold" attention to
detail you refer to.  The photos from the online catalog revealed many
deviations from this "standard" to the casual observer without seeing the
actual car.  Who knows what other deviations lurk in other hidden and not so
hidden locations on these cars.

A restoration by the devoted amateur who has obtained a concours gold level
certification should be the definition of "Fully Restored to Healey Concours
Gold Standards".  The "resto-sellers" can't afford the time and patience it
takes to pull this level off.  Someone should have a talk with the usual
suspects to clarify this misleading terminology.

Maybe next year the concours committee should hold impromptu concours judging
in the parking lot and reveal to everyone the level to which those cars are
really restored.  That sword should cut both ways.

Richard Bittmann BJ7 Ticked Off in Tacoma