Re: BARRETT JACKSON WEST PALM BEACH

To: Ed <justbrits@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: BARRETT JACKSON WEST PALM BEACH
From: Mike MacLean <macleans@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 07:06:11 -0700
Ed wrote:
> <<The Barrett-Jackson auction held in W. Palm this weekend yielded another
> top
> selling BJ8 at $135,000!!  >>
>
> I didn't see it actually auctioned but it certainly is no "100 point" car!!
>
> Ed

Being a "100 point" car is NOT what sells these vehicles at these
auctions.  The people putting out such big bucks (and it was $125,000,
not $135,000) are by no means concours judges and know little about the
car or it's history.  They are mostly bought on impulse by someone that
is sitting there getting drunk and being prodded by a good looking
female auction employee to bid up the car because his buddies will see
him on TV and he will look so good in that car.  It's not to say that
there are people there that are aware of whether or not the car is a
"100 point" car or not, but most of them just come to gawk and criticize
before and after the sale.  My friend that restored this car said he was
accused more that once that he was "ruining the hobby" by over-restoring
the car.  The restorer that sold that car does not claim to have built a
100 point car, he could have if he wanted too.  He just knows the
"formula" for making cars that will generate bids.  I have seen him do
this over and over again.  That being said, he does make sure the car is
mechanically perfect.  He just knows what it takes cosmetically to sell
a car at auction.  All of the big sellers probably do this also.

--
Mike MacLean
60 Sprite