RE: transmission oil

To: "'healeylist'" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: transmission oil
From: "Michael Salter" <msalter@precisionsportscar.com>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2006 21:26:07 -0400
I know that this is a subject that has been discussed before but I feel that
I should try to make a point here.
As far as I can determine there is no requirement to use "non detergent" oil
in the Healey gearbox. My findings are:
The factory recommendation is for the same oil in the engine AND gearbox
right from the 100 to the MkIII and these have always been oils with
detergent additives.
I contacted Laycock DeNormanville (many years ago) and they confirmed that
the oil requirement for their units was very broad and specified by the
vehicle manufacturer.
There is nothing in a BMC gearbox which can be damaged by oil additives
including detergents which, I understand, are not at all related to the
stuff we wash our dishes and hair with.
I have used 20/50 oils with detergents in Healey gearboxes for years and
found that they work perfectly, sometimes a little better in very cold
conditions.
I have never found any evidence of gearbox damage attributable to detergent
oils.
Triumph recommends 80/90 hypoid oil for their gearboxes and the overdrives
work perfectly in it, although some of the EP additives tend to centrifuge
out on the sun gear.
These "detergents" do not attack the brass or bronze components used in BMC
boxes although I do believe that some detergents, used years ago, were
responsible for damage to high zinc content plain bearings very
occasionally.
Where did the "non detergent" thing come from?

Michael Salter
www.precisionsportscar.com