Re: Request: How do I handle this problem?

To: "Rizzo Steven D LtCol AETC/A5RU" <Steven.Rizzo@RANDOLPH.AF.MIL>,
Subject: Re: Request: How do I handle this problem?
From: "Roland Wilhelmy" <rwil@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 19:42:14 +0000 GMT
Steve-
First, disclosure:  My first new car was a '55 VW bug.  Many years later I
learned welding, bodywork, painting, and general mechanics while restoring a
'57 oval window bug - including bringing brakes and suspensiion up to '71
specs. .  Besides the bug' I own a '65 bus.

My second new car was a BN2.   End of disclosure.

 New Beetles are front engined, watercooled Golfs dressed up to resemble
original Beetles in body appearance. They are nimble, stable, and with proper
choice of engine quite peppy. They are less similar tothe original than the new
MINI is to its original -- which is saying a lot.

If you can't stand the looks of the new Beetle, that's your privilege. I
wouldn't argue with you.   Many VW convertibles, both original and new, were
bought by women.   I wouldn't consider it a status come-down to be seen in one.

It would be a big change to go from a small SUV to a new beetle convert.  There
isn't a whole lot of room in a new beetle convert, either for people or stuff,
and fuel mileage is not super, either.  If you can rent one for a week, I'd
suggest letting your wife try it out before buying one.

-Roland
BN1, 2VWs, Subaru Forester, Prius