Re: oil pool (wheel bearings?)

To: "Ron Davies" <rdavies1@cox.net>
Subject: Re: oil pool (wheel bearings?)
From: "Alan Seigrist Blue 100" <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 11:21:01 +0800
Ron -

Sounds to me like your half shaft seal is leaking on your right rear
wheel.  The rear bearings are lubricated by the differential's hypoid
oil.  hypoid oil is ~ 60 to 80 wt usually.

What is quite common is for the 5 nuts holding the rear splines to
come loose.  When that happens, pressure is taken off the half shaft
o-ring seal and it will start leaking out of the rear wheel.  You can
check this by seeing if there is radial oil streaking on the inside of
the right rear tire.  If you see this radial pattern oil streaking,
that is your culprit.  Even if you don't see it, I would still check
to make sure these 5 bolts are cinched down 20-30ft-lbs torque (medium
hand tightness).

Best Regards,

Alan

'53 BN1 '64 BJ8