Re: Fuel Tank Screen

To: "John Snyder" <helyjohn@cablespeed.com>
Subject: Re: Fuel Tank Screen
From: John Loftus <loftusdesign@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2006 08:52:34 -0700
Hi John,

I used Marine Clean (sold by Por-15 and Moss or Hirsche Automotive also has a
similar product) to clean out an old tank that had varnish and dry flaky
residue.  Before going to the cost and time of shipping Marine Clean you could
try a gallon of MEK from the hardware store. Be warned that MEK is nasty stuff
so wear good chemical resistant gloves, work outside and avoid breathing the
fumes (paint respirator is a good idea too). Tape off all openings, slosh it
around and let it work for a few hours. Then drain it back into the container
for household chemical waste disposal (at least that's what we have around
here).  If you do decide that you need to etch and seal the tank I think the
Hirsche coating is better than the Por-15 coating.

Cheers,
John

Subject: Fuel Tank Screen

The bad news is that the gas tank was not drained when the car went into
storage.  I flushed it out w/ new gas, but the in-tank screen is completely
plugged.  Have been told that the in-tank screen can be blown off the pipe,
but 80 psi does not even make a hiss, and the screen is still there.

Any ideas?