RE: BN2 vapor lock question / conundrum

To: steveg@abrazosdata.com, healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: BN2 vapor lock question / conundrum
From: "WILLIAM B LAWRENCE" <ynotink@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 23:41:26 +0000
>From: "Steve B. Gerow" <steveg@abrazosdata.com>
>To: Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
>Subject: BN2 vapor lock question / conundrum
>Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 09:27:45 -0700
>
>Pete Roses and I have been troubleshooting Sarah Frost's frame-off 100M for
>a whole-engine miss problem at running temperature.
>
>When the car reaches 190, it starts to miss seriously as if the whole
>engine
>is going on and off. Otherwise the car runs perfectly with no apparent
>richness or backfiring. The spark plugs are normal. 190 seems a little hot,
>but the miss seems inappropriate for only 190--my car's run fine at 205 or
>even 212.
>
>Everything on the car is new or rebuilt, and we've replaced the coil,
>condenser and fuel pump as well as checked the fuel system for
>cleanliness--it's new and spotless.
>At no point is the fuel line very close to the exhaust. The closest point
>is
>the metal vertical up-tube to the front carb which is several inches from
>the manifold. Everything looks completely normal.
>
>My question--is it possible for these cars to vapor lock under normal
>driving circumstances?
>--
>Steve Gerow
>Pasadena CA
>59 BN6

My BN1 would load up (boil the fuel in the float bowls) when forced to idle
in traffic. The coolant temp would greatly exceed 190 before this happened.
I added extra heat shielding during the rebuyld and that seems to have
helped.

That being said, 190 just isn't that hot. Sounds like the coil to me.

Bill Lawrence