Re: TR250/6 versus BJ8

To: PG <britishcars@shaw.ca>
Subject: Re: TR250/6 versus BJ8
From: "Alan Seigrist Blue 100" <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 00:18:44 +0800
Paul -

All you have to do is put in a lightened flywheel.  Take off about 10#
and it will rev much faster.  All healey racers put in very light
flywheels.

The other thing is the healey motor was designed when the British were
taxing car manufacturers if the strokes of their engines were too
short (maybe to keep italian cars out?), so the BJ8 motor is a very
long stroke motor.

By the time the TR250 came out, these tax laws had changed and Triumph
started to design engines with shorter strokes.  This helps on hp &
"response", but the downside is less torque.

Nonetheless, a light flywheel will help if response is important for you.

Alan

'53 BN1 '64 BJ8