Road Fix

To: healeylist <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Road Fix
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 09:37:46 -0700
I'm so proud of myself, I just have to share ;)

On my most recent 3,000+ mile road trip, my overdrive started acting up;
it would
sometimes not engage and sometimes drop out then re-engage, at random.
It got
progressively worse so at a hotel stop in Salmon Arm, BC we decided to
try to
solve it.  I was hoping it was the solenoid, because I had a spare, but
for once I
did a little diagnostics before jumping in.  I really didn't want to
remove the transmission
cover in a parking lot, though I've done it before (NOTE: the Bentley
reprint of the
shop manual has a good O/D troubleshooting guide).  Anyway, my navigator
noticed the
12V output from the relay was intermittent, so we figured that was the
problem
(what should be in every LBC owner's road kit: a cheap voltmeter; the
moving coil type
are best and you can get them for 5-10 bucks).

The problem was, my spare relay was safely home in my parts locker,
about 1,500
miles away.  So, hoping for the best, I proceeded to uncrimp and remove
the cover
off the relay.  Nothing special inside, just a garden variety SPST
(single-pole single-throw)
relay.  The points were pretty burned, so I filed them clean with a
points file (lucky I
had it since I don't use points ignition any more).  In addition, the
arm/bracket mounting
for the fixed point didn't seem quite right; it appeared to be bent down
a little, probably
from 150,000 miles or so of being pressed on by the moving point (it's
thin Al).  So I
straightened the arm back to 90deg.

I put the cover back on the relay, and crimped it with a pair of channel
lock pliers.
The O/D worked fine for the remainder of the trip (1,500 miles or so).
Though I
have a spare relay, I think I'll leave the road repaired one in, just
out of curiosity
(it's easy enough to R&R this relay).  After filing, the points looked
to have maybe
1/32" or so of material ... enough for another 20-50K miles, maybe.
We'll see.

Though I'm a "tech guy," I'm always astounded by the rugged simplicity
of these
cars, and how many problems can be fixed with simple tools (I have a toolbox
the size of a fishing tackle box, with contents I have refined over 90K
miles of
driving this car, plus a box of spare parts).  I'll always think of this
diagnosis and
repair, as I listen to people complain about the electrical vagaries of
their new
SUVs, BMWs and Mercedeses.

Oh yeah, I put a few photos (we didn't take nearly enough) on my
website, at the
end of the "slide show:"

http://home.comcast.net/~bspidell

Cheers,