Re: Road Fix

To: gardner5@comcast.net, healeylist <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Road Fix
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 20:29:43 -0700
Hi Joel,

Welcome to the List!  You can send new inquiries to
healeys@autox.team.net, or just hit "Reply All"
(and delete the original poster's address so he doesn't get the reply
twice).  Don't be afraid to post,
the List is friendly and there are professional and experienced amateur
(like myself) mechanics
who are glad to help (there's also a member who drove a Healey around
the world!).  Send a note
to introduce yourself and to make sure your addressing is working.  Make
sure you delete the trailer
on your replies, it's meant to stop "looping" of messages and yours
won't get through the server if you
don't.

Also recommend you join one, or both, of the national Healey clubs.  I'm
partial to the
Austin Healey Club USA, of which I'm the advertising director:
http://www.healey.org
The Austin Healey Club America is a fine club, too.

I'm thinking of writing an article for the AHCUSA magazine--Austin
Healey Magazine--listing the
tools and parts I carry on my extended road trips (one a year of 2,500
miles or more for the last
15 or so years), but here's a list of spare parts I carry:

- spare fuel pump--These are notorious problems on Healeys.  I'm using
an SU electronic that
   has worked well for 10K miles or so (but I carry a spare with points)
- fuel pump points set (belt and suspenders ;)
- fiber gaskets--These are used for sealing the fuel pump and carbs to
the fuel lines (lose one
   without a spare and you're hosed--pun intended ;)
- distributor rotor(s)--There has been a spate of bad ones that cause
missing or fail outright.  I
  ordered mine from a reputable vendor in the UK (think I carry 2 or 3)
- distributor points--I have Pertronix electronic ignition, but if if
fails ...
- distributor condensor--See above
- old (and known working) ignition secondary--Distributor cap and plug
wires, preassembled
- spark plugs
- fan belt--New
- radiator hoses--Top and bottom, used but good
- O/D solenoid--Got one on "sale" from a pro mechanic/Lister in Canada.
- (now) O/D relay--Easy to replace and they'll wear out eventually
- gas cap--In case I leave one at a gas station
- assortment of bolts, screws, nuts and washers (esp. #10-32 screws,
used a lot on Healeys)

Also:

- engine oil
- brake fluid (I use silicone; harder to find in a pinch)
- small can of light oil to lube the generator bushing (good as carb
damper oil, too)
- JBWeld Quick epoxy
- JBWeld (or other) epoxy putty stick (excellent for quick exhaust repairs)
- mechanic's wire
- coat hanger wire
- duct tape (of course!)
- electrical tape
- zip ties (small, medium and large)
- tubeless tire repair kit (my wires are sealed)
- electrical wire (22 ga.) and assortment of crimp terminals
- hose clamps (various sizes)
- radiator sealant (Bars Leaks)

Tools: well, that's another story ;)

Healey On!