RE: Which way to go

To: "'Alan Seigrist Blue 100'" <healey.nut@gmail.com>,
Subject: RE: Which way to go
From: "Simon Lachlan" <simon.lachlan@homecall.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 08:28:11 +0100
I was parked up next to a friend's BJ7 the other day. I have a very late
MkII BT7. (So my car could just about be later off the production line than
his!)
I agree with everything said below about HD6s being nicer than HS4s or 6s.
Bear in mind that the carbs will probably be worn in whichever Healey you do
buy, so they'll leak a little air here and there and the needles will be out
and the springs will be different etcetc. If you choose a car and, in the
Great Scheme of Things, make a list of Things That Have To Be Done to it -
put "Carb Rebuild" near the top of said list. Once done properly, even 3
HS4s will run pretty well together and don't forget what people say: "Most
SU carb problems are actually Timing or Valves!"
Having said all above, my own feelings were such that I took out my 3 HS4s
and stuck in 3 HD6s which I'd refurbished with kits from the excellent Midel
in Australia.
Has anyone mentioned the hoods/soft tops? The BT7 hood, once up, gives a
slightly cleaner/tauter line and, once stowed, also gives a flatter line,
there being no soft top piled up behind the rear seats. Likewise the wind up
windows necessitate that chrome bit across the door top which raises the
cars mid line profile.
But the BT7 soft top is a pain to put up and the BJ7 one is easy to put up.
And, they say, BT7's leak more than BJ7s.
It's all "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". I prefer the older style
dash, so wanted a BJ7 or BT7. I'd have preferred a BJ7, having had a BT7
years ago.....I wanted the wind up windows and easier soft top. But I got a
BT7 in the end.
Oh yes, you'll find it easier to get a hard top for a BT7. The soft top has
to come off a BJ7 or 8 in order to fit a hard top, though I've heard that
Cape have on which permits it to stay on.
In the end maybe the best thing is to buy the best of either that your
budget permits. You'll have enormous fun with both.
Simon.