Stage 2 Engine

To: "'Austin-Healey List'" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Stage 2 Engine
From: PG <britishcars@shaw.ca>
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2006 23:10:11 -0700
Hello list,

I am in the design process of building a stage 2 engine and am looking for
input design from anybody knowledgeable out there.  The car is a 67 BJ8 but
I am using the block and head from a 64 as I want to keep the original
intact and unmolested.

The car is to be used as a street car and not raced..hence, stage 2.   My
goal is to achieve a broader powerband and higher rpm.

Obviously, you can blow the bank with the perfect engine (aluminium head,
hardened Crank, lightened rods, harmonic Balancer, titanium rocker arms etc
etc)..   I figure I have a budget of about $5k on this project so I am
hoping the list can help me get the biggest bank for my buck.

Are there any resource materials on specking the engine?

Have any listers build such and engine and if so, what were their spec's and
experiences?

Carburetion is always an issue.I have heard arguments on Weber vs. SU and
would appreciate any additional feedback.  (SU faster response? Weber better
at high RPM?)

Thanks

Paul