Re: Stage 2 Engine

To: PG <britishcars@shaw.ca>
Subject: Re: Stage 2 Engine
From: "Alan Seigrist Blue 100" <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2006 20:41:20 +0800
Paul -

Rather than spending the bomb on triple carbs (SU or Weber) I would focus on
a longer duration cam (you can regrind),  higher ratio rockers (
http://www.rockerarms.com/)& adjustable electronic ignition (
http://www.123ignition.nl/brand/Austin-Healey.html).  These three things
together will cost you less than $1,000.  My feeling is working with these
three things (+ the original 2" SUs) will get you a substantial power
increase without having to spend $2000 on a set of carbs (remember you also
have to get the linkages and manifolds) that are a pain in the ass to tune
and adjust in line with a non-stock car.

The other thing to do is to have each part in your engine balanced
seperately then assembled.  Finally I would go with a lightened flywheel
(available exchange from bill bolton tricarb@aol.com).  You could also
consider having your manifold and head ported... but it needs to be done by
a pro.

With these things I think you will be blown away with how much more power
you can get out of your car... best of all everything (except the disty)
will look original under the bonnet.

By the way, SU vs Weber.  In my opinion SU is the perfect carb and you can
do alot just with experimentation with springs and needles.  Best of all,
with proper tuning, they will give better power and less fuel consumption
than a weber, but it will take work to set it up.  Webers are awesome carbs,
but frankly if you're not on the track I wouldn't waste the time and effort
and expense.  Twin SUs are good enough.

Alan

'52 A90
'53 BN1