Re: It works

To: David Nock <healeydoc@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: It works
From: Dave & M <rusd@velocitus.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 18:01:43 -0600
Hi David,

I partly agree.
However, 'if" you can afford to carry a spare Pertronix, the module can
be changed almost as quickly as fiddling with the points. I have carried one
for years, just in case, but never needed it.

On the rotor failures, it is true that the old Lucas rotor is not well
designed for higher ignition voltages. Same with the old small diameter
caps with their close electrode spacing. You don't have to look far to
discover that more modern ignitions use rotors with better insulation &
larger caps for greater spacing between electrodes.

The coil only builds enough voltage to jump the plug gap. A high output
coil that is capable of 40 kv, will still only put out 25 kv if that is
what is required to jump the plug gap.

The problem comes when the plug gaps are increased & 40 kv "is"
required. Rotor breakdown & cross firing within the cap sometimes occurs.

I have never experienced a Pertronix  failure or a rotor failure, but
then I stick with conservative plug gaps in deference to the old rotor &
cap design. I'm still using a 40 year old Echlin rotor. The Lucas cap is
nearly that old.

I prefer the electronic ignition "because" it completely eliminates
point problems & fiddling with them. There are "some" replacement point
sets that seem to have very rapid rubbing block wear, cam lube not
withstanding.

To each his own.

Dave Russell