RE: gas tank repair/replace?

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: gas tank repair/replace?
From: "BJ8Healeys" <sbyers@ec.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 05:51:12 -0700
Hi, Don -
I had a similar situation with my tank soon after I bought the car in 1984.
I fiberglassed over the bottom of the tank with resin and couple plies of
woven fiberglass cloth, and it held without leaking until I replaced the
tank with a new one in 2000.   If you don't want to replace the tank at this
time, fiberglassing is cheap, easy, quick, and effective as long as you make
sure the surface is absolutely clean.  I doubt that welding or brazing would
work well, especially if the tank happens to have rusted out from the
inside.  You probably have other pinholes working that haven't shown up yet.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC  USA