Re: Mig Welder

To: "Allyn Richardson" <allynrichardson@cox.net>
Subject: Re: Mig Welder
From: Roland Wilhelmy <rwil@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 10:38:30 -0700
I haven't noticed any signifigant splatter using MIG welding and
"C-25" gas mix (argon 75% and  CO2 25% I think). I hear that flux core
wire welding has about the same splatter as stick welding does.   It
_is_ easy to place more metal into the weld than is necessary, using
MIG.  So more grinding is part of the deal for weldors who are at my
level of skill.  I have replaced parts of box sections, dog legs,
rocker panels, sills, outriggers, and lower sections of front fenders
using MIG and the results have been satisfactory (to me).

I find TIG more challenging than gas welding of sheet metal.  And both
gas and TIG require continuing regular practice to develop and
maintain the necessary skills.  Some day I hope to be able to TIG weld
aluminum panels, but for now I'll stick to steel and MIG for my
Healey, and let an expert do the TIG on aluminum.

-Roland