Re: Master Cylinders

To: WWSCPO@aol.com
Subject: Re: Master Cylinders
From: "Alan Seigrist Blue 100" <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 10:09:10 +0800
Bill -

For the BJ8 you should have a different master for the brake.  Because the
BJ8 has a brake booster, you need less pressure on the pedal, using the
standard BT7 or BN7 brake master (same as the clutch master) would give your
car too much brake boost and the braking would feel like a Cadillac.

So yes, your BJ8 should have a different master for the brake.  Since both
of your cylinders are the same I can safely assume you have two clutch
masters on your car (for BN7s and BT7s these cylinders are the same).

That being said, sometimes you cannot tell the difference by looking at the
outside of the cylinders whether they are the same or not.  The best way to
do it is to measure the bore ID on both cylinders and if those are the same,
then you know you probably have two clutch masters.  I doubt you have two
BJ8 brake masters because that would make shifting very difficult.

Hope that helps.

Alan

'52 A90
'53 BN1