RE: FW: Mallory vs. 123

To: "'P.J.Aeckerlin'" <j.aeckerlin@tiscali.nl>, 'Healeys'
Subject: RE: FW: Mallory vs. 123
From: PG <britishcars@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2007 21:31:05 -0800
Hi Jack,

I suspect the black box you are referring to would be a Capacitor system
(CDI = Capacitor Discharge Ignition).  This would be an optional item and
only used if you wanted a stronger spark.  Basically it works the opposite
of a standard coil system (IDI - Induction Discharge Ignition).  The
traditional IDI system has the coil generating a strong voltage when the
magnetic field is collapsed (by opening the points) whereas a Capacitor
system functions by generating a field quickly (by dumping approximately 400
volts into the coil as soon as triggered by the points opening.(or
electronic ignition as the case may be).

A coil generates the extra voltage by the sudden change in the current.  It
does not matter whether it is the sudden decrease or increase.  As such, the
CDI system works opposite to the IDI system.

Most, if not all, modern ignition systems now use CDI as it generates a much
stronger spark than the traditional IDI and does not have the dwell issues
at high rpm (the Capacitor is always charged).  The downside of the CDI
system is that the spark is short in duration..this is why they have
Multiple Spark Systems where there are up to 6 sparks per cylinder per
combustion stroke.

All this to say that the 123 or the Unilite system could both use the "black
box".it is not unique to Mallory.

Regards,

Paul

  _____