Overdrive solenoid

To: "Healeys@Autox. Team. Net" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Overdrive solenoid
From: "Ronald J. Ray" <ronald-ray@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 07:54:51 -0500
My recently purchased aftermarket overdrive solenoid came with a rubber boot
that slides over the plunger and down into the overdrive housing.  This boot
is shown in the original BMC parts book (page F.18) although it is not given
a part number.
I've been told by one source that the boot is only for "open housing units"
and that if installed on my 1960 BT7 it could inhibit the proper function of
the solenoid.
Can anyone confirm or deny this theory?
Thanks.
Ron Ray